HOME

Hybrid Hydrogen-Carbon Process H2CAR

H2CAR or Hybrid Hydrogen-Carbonis a proposed process for a more sustainable biofuel that virtually eliminates CO2 emissions in biodiesel, multiplying biomass efficiency to a point where our nations current demand for oil would be completely met and eliminating the need to sequester the current overdose of CO2 in our atmosphere.

H2CAR is a new way to produce liquid biodiesel (fuel) from biomass with the addition of hydrogen; making that normal amount of biomass go three times farther than it normally would when chemically gasifying conventionally (without hydrogen).

Hybrid Hydrogen-Carbon Process basically blends two sustainable methods of fuel production for combustion (diesel) engines that free us from the uncontrolled and unregulated discharge of CO2 into the atmosphere, as has been the case with our planets overuse of fossil fuels for decades.

The logic behind this new sustainable biodiesel H2CAR relies on a more practical way of procuring and releasing the stored energy.

The solar-power electrolysis method for producing hydrogen uses 10 times less sunlight than biomass like soy or corn do; while at present the hydrogen in biomass is all that is being used in biofuel production.

Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and hydrogen are the three gases biodiesel contains; injecting hydrogen would maximize its potential as a sustainable resource.

Biomass is used as a carbon, while hydrogen is extracted through carbon-free methods (like solar-hydrogen-electrolysis).

They are chemically gasified, chemically liquefied and when burned in the combustion chamber of a train, plane or automobile, a far wider range of carbons are spent than is traditionally so with conventional biodiesel designs (which have a 60 70% carbon inefficiency rate).

H2CAR uses hydrogen to suppress the formation of CO2 in liquid hydrocarbon fuel; converting all the carbon atoms available into useable fuel.

Biodiesel comes from biomass that has captured CO2 through normal photosynthesis, which is then released back into the atmosphere when expended, thereby virtually closing the CO2 circuit and becoming in this way a cleansource of energy fuel that can be used to power our cars.

The traditional biodiesel cycle is labeled zero-emissions, even though biodiesel does emit CO2, as the whole process is self-containing.

Hydrogen can be extracted through electrolysis which uses an electrical current to divide the oxygen and hydrogen molecules in water; usually photovoltaics are used to create the electricity for this.

This is labeled as a carbon-free hydrogen extraction system.

The stored hydrogen is also used as an explosive gas for powering our car engines with hydrogen fuel cells, much like biofuel, but producing distilled H2O instead of CO2 and is also considered clean, as it neither consumes, nor produces CO2.

As the oxygen expended in electrolysis is recaptured during hydrogen expenditure, Hydrogen fuel cells do not contribute to the formation of O3 (the ozone layer). This cycle is therefore also labeled zero-emissions.

With all the biomass in production in the US today that is set aside specifically for biofuels (1.4 billion tons), only one third (30%) of our nations fuel consumption can be met at present, Purdue Universitys researchers (abstract) however feel their new liquid hydrocaron fuel design will triple that percentage (to 90%) leaving only a small margin of 10% that could be filled with waste biomass not yet extensively cultivated.

While biomass production would consume CO2 (releasing O2 into the atmosphere) and solar-power electrolysis would release oxygen, there would be enough oxygen in the atmosphere for the regeneration of the Ozone (O3).

H2CAR eradicates the ongoing threat our unnatural release of CO2 from fuel (especially fossil) currently poses, eliminating the need to control the overabundance of CO2 in our atmosphere through sequestration.

The sequestering of CO2 would not be sustainable by any means due to the energy spent over the long-term in maintaining the gas under-stopper and monitored, below ground.

H2CAR is definitely a noticeable alternative to either hydrogen or electric cars because of the energy savings in the long-term, potential repair of the Ozone and as a self-reliant biofuel for our nation, right now.

H2CAR simply means the hydrogen extracted through solar-power electrolysis is blended with biomass (carbon) also in a gaseous state, then liquefied, producing a liquid hydrocarbon fuel (a super-biofuel:-) otherwise known as the Hybrid Hydrogen-Carbon Process.

Related:
Liquid Hydrocarbon Fuel




Similar:


Posted in Electric by admin on March 21, 2007.

School Garden in Santa Maria is supported by OSH | Home | Balance Point Homestead